Friday, March 5, 2010

Dinner rolls

For the family dinner at my in-laws, I'm in charge of bringing the rolls.

So we popped down to the local Mega Bulk Warehouse store, and got a bag of their popular white dinner rolls.

I know that is not what My mother in law had in mind when she assigned me the rolls. But I know that no-one at the dinner will be interested in GF rolls beyond the novelty of it. Any time I bring GF food it gets nibbled at and sent back home with me. So there is no way I'm spending hours baking for that.

So our next stop was the local Co op.

Contestant number one. Kinnikinnick Tapioca Rice English Muffins. Previously frozen. 4 buns per bag. Buns are very tall, you can't get you mouth around them. If you just let the buns though at room temp, and eat them they are dry, dense and crumbly. However if you remove the frozen bun, wrap in a damp paper towel, and microwave on medium for about 40 seconds, the bun is spongy, moist, and chewier. I like to slice them into three slices each, then they are thin enough to get your mouth around them and any fillings you might wish to include. Very yummy, But a lot of prep work, in what I'm sure will be a very busy kitchen.

Contestent nunmber two: Schar Classic white rolls. 4 rolls per bag. Not frozen, however the packaging says "product may be eaten directly from package or refresh as follows..." with toasting instructions. So I tried them "directly from package" and they were OK. My non GF spouse said they tasted similar to the rolls we got from the warehouse store. Soft not too dence, thin crust, not True, once toasted they were even better, but highly palatable un-"refreshed". Over all a good on the run roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment