Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Betty and Bette

I was not diagnosed with Celiac disease until I was older, so I was raised with that red and white gingham Betty Crocker cookbook. I don't think my mother used any other cookbooks.

For my first birthday after being diagnosed a good friend of mine gave me one of Bette Hagman's cook books. And it is the corner stone of my kitchen. I've got a cupboard full of GF cookbooks but Bette is the best.

I had the honor of meeting her in 2001. I did not know who she was at the time. I attending a Celiac disease support group meeting when I was first diagnoses, and she was there, with samples of a chocolate cake. She gave me a slice, and since only a month before I had been eating "regular" chocolate cake she was particularly interested in what I had to say bout her cake flavor and texture. She passed away in August of 2007. It was a sad day. A friend (also GF) and I went down to the Edmond's beach, to eat the "chocoholic delight" I made that morning in honor of her.
I have a lot of hope for the New Betty Crocker line of gluten free mixes. Hopefully they will continue to improve. Maybe some day I can put a red and white gingham cookbook in my cupboard too. Bette and Betty side by side.

No comments:

Post a Comment