Monday, March 15, 2010

Pi Day (3.14)

March 14th, 3.14, Pi day.

So to celebrate I made pie.
My hubby is not much of a pie fan. However about a month ago a friend of ours, who is from Sweden, made a "Apple pie" that he liked.
I got her recipe, and with some comparisons to existing recipes, and having palpitated the pie as she make it, I concluded that its a sugar cookie, on top of apple filling.
Well, I have Sugar cookie mixes, so I decided to give it a try.

The mix in the cupboards was Hodgson mill Multi Purpose Baking mix. I think it was more a flour blend. All of the re recipes that came on the box still requires Baking powder, baking soda, and salt. So that only thing in the box was s blend of GF flours. So I think they should change the label.

Second, on the side of the box "serving 1/4 cup dry. servings per container 11" So box should contain 2 and three quarter cup of mix right? And the cookie recipe on the box called for two cups of mix. So why did the box contain LESS then two cups of mix? Now I like to slice the apples into a gallon bag, and then add the sugar and cinnamon "ShakeN Bake style. Then arrange the apple slices in the pie pan, and cover with the crust.
It baked up nicely, but I thought it was very crumbly and kind of grainy.
The pie top did not require all the dough, so I mixed some chocolate chips into the rest, and baked then up too.

I will have to say this in not my favorite mix.
Not even top ten.
Not likely to purchase again.

No comments:

Post a Comment