Monday, June 14, 2010

Schar Classic White Bread Mix

My first GF sandwich was in over a decade ago. It was on energy foods bread. :P I think I went at least 5 years without eating another GF sandwich.
And I hardly have them now, but every once in a while I just crave ham and cheese with pickles and mustard.
I thought I would take sandwiches to work for my lunches. So I picked up a bread mix.
Schar Classic White Bread Mix.

This had to be the Stiffest, thickest GF dough I had ever used seen.
It did not mix well, so I just dug in with my hands.
I managed to get the dough mixed
But then I would not get my hands out.
With a little help from Hubby, I got most of the dough into the Bread pan.
The box recommends covering it with a Damp cloth while it raises.
And to put a pan of watter in the oven with it.

I'm not a scientist, but all that extra moisture must matter...

The dough doubled in size, as promised, and looked wonderful.
The bread did not turn out quite like the photo on the box, but as close as I ever get.
It was not too pores.
It was not too dense.
It was not too crumbly.
It was very good.
Straight form the oven it was moist and soft, and slightly chewer.
The next morning it was a little firmer, but refreshed nicely when microwaved with butter.

It cost about the same as the pre-made loaf of bread. But I somehow felt better about baking it myself, then eating what was shipped halfway around the world. (Ya, if you look at a globe, that is where England is to Seattle)
And the shelf life on the mix is VERY long.
I think it might be a good addition to my baking cupboard supply. Having a box on hand for multiple occasions would be a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment