Saturday, April 17, 2010

Bob's Red Mill Corn bread Mix

So it was time again for another dinner with the in-laws.

I volunteered to make lasagna. A few days later I was called and "asked" if we can have a potato bar instead. {My mother in-Law made GF lasagna about a year ago. She is not as familial with GF noodle nuances as I am. She over cooked the noodles into pudding. So I think that is why the menu changed.} I was therefore assigned "Oh, um bacon, and onion, and tomato... that stuff"
SO I made a Beautiful tray with Crumbled Bacon, Diced Ham, Chives, Onion, parsley, tomato, mushroom, and salsa. And Corn bread muffins, from Bob's Red Mill Mix.

Now the box says to make the cornbread in a 8" square pan, but the last time I did that the cornbread was overcooked on the outside edges and still gooey on the inside.

SO that is why I went with muffins this time.

The batter is VERY thick. DO not attempt this without a hevyduty stand mixer.

The batter is VERY sticky. The muffin on the left of the photo is untouched, batter scraped into the foil cup.

The muffin on the right of the photo had it's top smoothed over with a wet spatula prier to baking. Notice on the left one has those overcooked jagged edges. Smoothing breads over makes them able to raise more evenly. I have also heard of smoothing them over with melted butter instead of water. But I think water does just fine.

The muffins turned out great. Moist, not too crumbly. Excellent fresh from the oven and still good the next morning.

Bob as always, is reasonable priced.

This is the GO TO cornbread muffin mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment