Friday, October 18, 2013

Kitchen space rant

I have been gluten free for over a decade. And back when I was diagnosed the only store with a gluten free loaf of bread, in existence was NOT palatable.
its ingredients were rice and water. it was rice paste pressed into a loaf shape and then dried. It was rice jerky, it was not bread.
So if I wanted bread I would have to bake it myself. Same went for cookies, cake, pasta, and just about EVERYTHING. So I needed ALL the kitchen equipment to make everything from scratch. Any all the equipment my mother already owned was contaminated so I had to get my own. So I did.
I got loaf pans, in 3 sizes. and a bread maker. An industrial grade mixer with all the accessories, including pasta. Food grade scales ( also in 3 sizes) food processors. Blenders, immersion blenders. Induction cooktops. Toaster oven. Waffle makers. And every possible sized pan, dish and bakeware.
And then there are ingredients. I got every kind of flour, starch, and gum. There were not a lot of gluten free cookbooks back then, most were from Europe, so I had to order what they used, which was considered exotic and rate. Usually had to get in bulk. And then store them, in my own containers.
I made a HUGE investment in the gluten free life. 
And If I was diagnosed today, I would have not gone to the trouble.

Now I consed, that to make truly wonderful gluten free baked goods at home you probity need these things. Gluten free baking is just as much art as science. The thing is, I can go out today, to my local chain grocery store and spend like $8 and get a loaf of GF bread that tasted BETTER then ANY loaf of bread that I made in over a decade of trying. So I stopped trying.

I remember in college, I would spend an entire Sunday baking bread, in minni loaf pans. I had to use the mini loaf because the big pans would burn the crust before the middle was done. And I would have to cut the minni loaf of bread length wise into strange rectangle slices. It would make  just enough for a week of sandwich lunches. And you had to wrap the bread in plastic. When time to eat, you would pealing it back just a corner of the plastic, to eat little by little, or you got a lap of crumbs.
Seriously, you new guys have NO idea how hard it was.
Oh, the kitchen disasters I experienced...
But my point is, because I had one.
 Sure i will probably never used the pasta maker again, but should I toss it? I kept my wedding dress, and I have less of a chance of using it again...
My point is I already OWN all this stuff. And it doesn't make scene to throw away all this stuff.
 But the average american home does not have the kitchen capacity that my industrial level of stock requires. Even some of the new construction, with "gourmet kitchens" only have like a dozen cupboards. So we bought an older home. with Tons of charm, And 10 cupboards. Sure the shelves go from the floor up to the 8 foot ceiling, and I need a ladder to reach the top shelves. So it's quite a bit of square footage in the kitchen, but I need more. I have filled the kitchen, and most of the hallway linen closet. Yet a stack remains, in the garage, six feet high and 4 feet wide, of boxes labeled "kitchen" waiting for me to find them room. Looming at me. Like homeless kittens they tug at my heart "can't we come inside?" they beg. "It's dark, and there are spiders in the garage" the say. "You promised" they plead. 
There is a blank corner of the kitchen, where we have put a little table just big enough for 2 adults and a highchair. I suppose we could fill that space with cupboards instead. But then where do we eat?
The kitchen originally had a wood stove, so the current vent is the old stove pipe. We can't put cupboards in that section, perhaps one of the racks, suspended from the ceiling, to hang pots and pans from. That would open up the three shelves filled with pots and pans. I don't think if my pots and pants are attractive enough to be hanging on display.
Searching the internet has yielded images of well organized kitchens, of people who own 1/4 of what I own, so it's not much help.
sigh
I don't know what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment