Thursday, September 12, 2013

Antonina's Bakery Gluten free Blueberry nut mini cupcakes, review

While in Portland I spotted a new label in the gluten free freezer.
They had two flavors, available in cupcake and Cake. Since the label said it was a dedicated Facility, I trusted it. Perhaps I should not have...
 

 

 
The cakes were yummy. They came frozen but it was over 70f so they did not stay frozen long. Moist, decent amount of nuts and blueberries. Good frosting to cake ratio.
 
Unfortunately, about 12 hours later I noticed the roof of my mouth was raw, and gums swollen. For me that is a sure sign that I have gotten a minor cross contamination.
 
As I brows their webpage, I don't see the product I bought. I doo see other products listed and gluten free. But it appears that the majority of their products are not Gluten free. On the "our history" page the owners focus on their desire to make "all natural and wholesome ingredients" and that "In the future we plan to open a certified Gluten Free bakery."
The copyright is 2011-2012. I'm not sure the current situation at Antonina's right now. But I suspect that since there focus is not primarily the Gluten free community, they might not have the same diligence to cross contamination. Those who are GF because they find it more natural, or wholesome, are not as worried about dedicated facilities as those of us who's health depends on it. Its been three days since the cupcakes, and my mouth is still raw. It might have been an isolated incident, but I'm going to steer clear of this brand, Just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment