Saturday, February 22, 2014

Moon Rabbit Foods, Gluten free Corn bread mix, review

So, what goes better with Chili then cornbread. And since I had not made the Moon rabbit Foods, Gluten free Corn bread mix yet, I gave it a try.
First of all, one bag makes two 913 pans. That's a lot of cornbread. So as instructed on the back, I made half of the bag.
The instructions are to use soft butter, and cream it into the mix using an electric mixer.
For the first few seconds, even on low, it shot the mix into the air, and made me cough. I would say cut the butter in first, then move on to mixing. I would say use a STAND mixer, as it was very stiff and difficult for my hand mixer.
The package recommended folding in shredded cheese.
This caused pockets of cheese that were melted, and gave a false reading of "done-ness" when I checked the bread. Leading to overcooking.
 
The results were very dry and fragile. Making them imposable to remove form the pan.
 
The second half of the bag went a little better: I mixed up the batter using margarine. And did not add anything to the mix. I then spooned half of the batter into a parchment paper lines pan. 
This made it a  breeze to remove. We however found the flavor rather bland. A little honey butter helped, but not much.



 
 
What did I do with the other half of the batter? Tune in next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment