Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Gluten Free Cherry Pie using Dry cherry and Almond crust

I wanted to make at least one fruit pie for Pie day(3.14) But with Squeaker being a typical 11 month old, he would not let me have 5 minutes to my self all day, so it had to be a fruit that would not need a lot of work.Long ago my grandmother gave me a recipe of "funeral pie", it is made with raisins, and I thought with a little help I could do the same with dried cherries
SO here it is:

3 Cups Dried Sweetened Cherries
16 oz Apple sauce
one packet Knox gelatin powder
1 TB minute Tapioca
1/4 cup Tapioca flour
1/3 cup Sugar
Top crust:
1/4 cup Gluten free oats.
1 1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup butter
1 TB tapioca flour.
Bottom Crust:
Whole foods Gluten free Frozen crust

IN a large bowl mix Apple sauce with gelatin, tapioca, and tapioca flour.
Add Cherries. Pour into Bottom crust.
Melt butter, stir it into the Almonds and oats.
Spread over filling.
Bake at 325 for an hour.


 "bake a Cherry pie, faster then you blink your eye, but she has a young thing that can not leave his mother..."

1 comment: