Sunday, March 18, 2012

Gluten free Banana Custard Pie Recipe

This recipe I invented all on my own.
See, I have a lot of banana. So I wanted to use it. And I wanted to honor Pie day (3.14)
So I was going to make my first Banana cream pie. Then I was shocked and appalled to find out that banana Cream pie, is really Vanilla cream pie, with banana slices in it. And that was not good enough!
So I searched the Internet for a banana pudding recipe. I found several, and then combined, crosreferances, experimented, modified and produced this recipe:

Gluten free Banana Custard Pie Recipe:
Pre-bake a Whole foods Gluten free pie crust as package directs:

8 oz of pureed banana (2 small baby food jars)
1/2 cup & 2 generous TB water
3 Tb cornstarch
14 oz Condensed milk (one can)
3 egg yolks
2 Tb butter
1 tsp Vanilla
4 oz of pureed banana ( 1 small jar)
3 egg whites
3/4 tsp cream of tarter
6 Tb Powdered sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla

Whisk Banana, water and cornstarch. Add milk and Yolks, mixing well.
In a large microwave safe glass dish, microwave at half power for 30 second intervals until thick.
The overall time varies depending on your microwave. Mine took at lease 6 ...
Once thick, add butter and vanilla, stirring to incorporate. Butter will melt quickly.
Pour into crust, and smooth evenly.
Spread 4 oz of banana evenly over the filling.
With the egg whites you reserved form earlier; add cream of tarter, and whip until stiff.
Add powered sugar and vanilla. Whip into Stiff peaks.
Dollop on top of the pie filling, being sure to reach the crust all the way around.
Bake at 325 until browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment