Saturday, July 31, 2010

Undi's Plain Bagel

I do miss a good bagel.
Before Coffee shops were all the rage in Seattle, I remember an outing when I was about 8 or 10 down to the SPOT bagel bakery. I think thu are still downtown..
The bagels were make fresh, and loaded with good stuff. The blueberry I remember had at least 20 blueberries in it. toasted lightly and lathered in cream cheese...
Yes I do miss a good bagel.

I have a recipe for them I got about 8 years ago. I tried it when I first acquired the recipe, and it made fairly good ones. But it was alot of work, and very messy. The boiling watter, the stack of dirty pans... not it was something I did not think I would eat again.

This week I tried the Undi's Plain Bagel.
They were good.
Soft, almost springy.
An excellent bread by any standard.
But not quite the Bagle I remember. Not quite the dense chewiness i would associate with the work Bagel.
Coming form Denver Co, perhaps that is their bagel standard, I guess I need a good New York style bagel...

No comments:

Post a Comment