Monday, August 2, 2010

Whole foods Bakehouse-Pie Crust

Hubby picked up two gluten free pre-made pie crusts from the Whole foods Bakehouse.
Pre-formed into the Pie pans, and frozen.
He happily presented then too me with the information that I could now make him lemon Meringue pie.
Yeah, see years ago when we were first dating I made him a lemon pie. The recipe I used is form the Jello/coolwip cookbook, circa 1980s.
He had not been too impressed, and had told his mother about the pie, and so "for my benefit" she had made a "real" lemon merange pie for me the next time we all had dinner together.
Personally I liked my Jello/whipped cream better, but hubby feels that the Meringue is essential.
SO at this time I was not as thrilled as he was about this new project.
I tried to suggest that since it was his idea, perhaps he would like to complete it.
See the reason I had made the Jello/wiped cream pie, is that I have never made merange before.
So overcome by the hopeful expression on his face, and the PROMISE that his diet would start Monday, I attempted my first Meringue.
It was a minor success.
At least I thought so.
The crust did very well.
Excellent texture, sturdy without being chewy.
Flake without being flimsy.
Crust number 2 became coconut cream pie.
Also good.
Taken to a dinner party where I was told by three non GF that it was just as good as any regular pie crust.
Yah!
I will be picking up some more of these crust for future fruit and holiday pies.
Only draw back is they are only bottoms, so the apple pies will have to be crumb topped...

No comments:

Post a Comment