Sunday, July 4, 2010

Whole foods

So, we just moved. And I use to go to this little hole in the wall local specialty grocery to get my GF stuff.
Yeah to Fredmeyers and Albertsons for caring a few feet of it, but the stuff I need is usually not there.
So We have moved. And I was concerned about my GF supplier.
Well, while in Utah I got GOOD GF bread at a place called Wild Oats.
Whole foods bought out that chain.
So I happen to live near a Whole Foods now, so I went to look.

Last time I was in a whole foods was like 5 years ago. There GF stuff was just mixed in with everything else, so I had to read label after label after label.

So I went to whole foods, direct to bakery to check freezer there for GF. Nothing. Searched entire bakery, ONE GF loaf. Flax seed bread, hard as rock.
Checked entire freezer section, found GF waffles, and GF frozen dinners but no bread.
I thought "seriously?!? Kroger has more then this!??"
So I went to check out, but the line was long, so I though well, mine as well ask the girl at customer service. Maybe I missed it.
"excuse me I have a question? Do you carry Gluten free bread"
"Yes, in the gluten free freezer."
"Where is that"
"In the Gluten free department"
"...Wha...?"
I'll show you"   And she lead me past produce to the far northern corner of the store, to GF HEAVEN!
I had not gone anywhere near produce, cause I was not looking for fruit. But she explained that the GF section was almost it's own store. It had it own external dore, cash register, and sitting area were I am told events take place.
 They has products I had never seen.
I giggles like a giddy school girl as I circles the Freezers, six dores worth of GF foods.
And I was practically crying by the time I finished walking down all 8 gluten free isles.
I got only one bag full this week.
Our new apartment has a small fridge, and not much cupboard space, so I'm going to go more European, and shop more often and get less stuff.

1 comment: