Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Bisquick-Gluten free drop Biscuits

How assume is that!!!
It's like being GF gets more and more "normal" every day.
And hubby found this at the local grocery.
 Not just the specialty store!
I have got to say I was skeptical.
 If you look at the ingredients, you see the mix is mostly rice, with some sugar, leavening and potato starch.
However, since hubby was excited to bring this home for me; I was excited to give it a try.
I went for the drop biscuits recipe featured on the back of the box.
The recipe was simple, and fairly quick.
I only had to cut in the shortening and then mix in milk and eggs.
I like mixes that all truly ready to go.

The dough was sticky, but formed nicely to drop on to the baking sheet.
Which I had lined with parchment paper.*I find often when the recipes states not to grease the banking sheet, and you grease it the item in question puddles during baking. If you do not grease the baking sheet, the item in question cannot be removed from the sheet without being mangled. This is why the parchment paper is an essential of the kitchen. It gives you that ability to remove the item after baking without effecting the viscosity during baking.*
They turned out quite good.
They appeared to need  the full 16minutes in the oven.
The had a thin crust and a good texture.
They were a little on the grainy side, probably do to them being mostly rice based.
You could tear them apart without them falling apart.
Overall they were good. And fairly quick to make.
They went well with he stew we had for dinner.
We were even able to soak them in the broth, without them disintegrating. A positive sign.
Overall I will probably get this mix again.
Especially when on sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment