Saturday, April 14, 2012

Hot tamales

Hand made, authentic Tamales
Naturally Gluten free.
One of my sister in laws spent a year and a half in Southern Florida on a mission for our church. She learned how to make Tamales from a women there. The recipe she has in in Spanish, and it makes a ton of tamales. So she had me over to make them with her.

You smear the corn/lard paste on the corn leave
then you put some meat on it
then you stick in a slice of potato and a bit of jalapeno
Then you roll the leaf up, tie it closed on each end
And steam it for a long time.
It was a lot of work. And they were very small.
I would have to eat like 4 at a time, with rice and beans, for it to feel like a meal.

The flavor was very yummy, but the corn outside was dry and greasy at the same time. I can see why they would but wheat flour in it to appeal to American taste.


She also gave me an electric tortilla maker. I will have to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment