Friday, June 20, 2014

Blood test: Advances and undermines?

When I was diagnosed, in 2001. They called what I had "gluten-sensitive enteropathy; coeliac disease".
Why the long name? Because the term "Celiac disease" was the name of a category of  "autoimmune digestive disorders"
From the Latin  "koiliakos," which meant "suffering in the bowels."

Under this umbrella were things like "Hirschprung disease" or "Granuloma"  or "Churg-Strauss". Crohn's Disease is part of this group too.
 But somewhere in the last few years it went from being one of the " top 10 most misdiagnosed diseased" (readers digest *2002*) to being "one of the most commonly occurring genetic diseases in the world" (everyday Health Media 2014)
And so since this " immunologically mediated attack of the intestinal lining which occurs in certain people with a genetic predisposition to have their immune systems identify gliadin as a 'foreign' molecule." Is being commonly called "Celiac disease"
Personally I wish we had gone with " Gee's disease" after ; Samuel Gee MD, the first to recognize a change in diet as the main part of treatment.

So some doctors hand out orders for the blood test like candy.
Some doctors refer to the category as a whole as "diseases of the Coeli"
And They might both be right.

But the down side to this readily available blood test is so clear:
"I went to the doctor yesterday to find out why I can't digest a lot of food. He thinks that I might have celiac disease and did the blood work. I can eat gluten without any problems though and told him that. He still thinks that I have it. I think that he is wrong .... "
Or
"My doctor did a blood test and said I have Celiac disease. But I feel fine when I eat gluten so I'm not going to stop"

 
So, back in 2000, I would NEVER have thought it was bread that was making me sick. If anything I thought the sateen crackers, or plain toast helped me feel better. Something like 80% of the people with gluten issues don't see a direct correlations between what they eat, and their gastrointestinal symptoms. It's because of that Immune system getting involved, that it was so imposable to diagnose for like 100 years. But that blood test is super accurate. I would believe what it says, even if you don't want to.
And Just food for thought: People who smoke feel fine most of the time too, that does not mean they are not damaging their lungs with each cigarette...Just saying

No comments:

Post a Comment