Monday, September 12, 2011

Julie's ice cream sandwich cookies

On long summer road trips, when I was a child, back when you had to go inside to pay for your gass, sometimes dad would come back to the car with ice cream sandwiches. Gas station ice cream sandwiches can hardly be called "good food" but they were a treat none the less. Not one that I have missed in my nearly a dozen years gluten free.But when one of my best friends, also gluten free, told me these were worth a try, I picked them up.
Boy was she right!
Julie's  Gluten free ice cream sandwich cookies.
Yum Yum!
Made using the Glutenfreeda's gluten free chocolate cookies and organic vanilla ice cream.

You have to wait to let the ice cream soften just a bit, and they are everything that I remember ice cream sandwiches to be, but all grown up.
Very rich ice cream.
At 200 calories and 30% of your saturated fat, I spread the 4 sandwiches out over a two weeks.

Now, Julie's is not a gluten free company. There focus is Organic. They made the vanilla ice cream. But they also make non GF ice cream, in the same "facility"
SO if you are UBER sensitive, and they fact that the cookies and cream ice cream was made in the same "facility" as this vanilla, then you have to make they call for yourself.
A rep from Julie's says ""We make the claim of ‘Gluten-free’ with this product because we test for gluten and verify that it is not in the finished product. However, our experience has shown that some consumers are equally concerned about shared equipment, so our allergen warning statement is offered to alert those consumers of the fact that we also process gluten-containing products in our facility."
So if they are testing the finished product, that's good enough for me.
Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment