Wednesday, September 14, 2011

"allergen Alert" what is says to me

I have  Celiac Disease so my approach is different that say a person with a wheat allergy, or someone choosing a gluten free diet for other reasons.

So My philosophy is this:
"May contain wheat" I will PASS
"Certified Gluten free" Dig in!
"dedicated gluten free ..." Woo Hoo!
"Processed in a shared facility..." Proceed with caution
"Processed on shared equipment" Depends on the product

When it comes to equipment, and facility, this is what I think.
A facility can be several buildings large. The things with gluten could be no where near the gluten free products, and they could be in the same room. It's hard to tell.
Take Bob's red mill. They have a dedicated glutnen free department. Dedicated gluten free building. But Bob's Red Mill as a facility also produces things that are not gluten free. But I trust Bob's red mill to check the finished product. In this day and age I trust most of the big companies to CYA. So they are safe. Over a decade ago when I started eating gluten free I did not trust ANY one.
I remember all too well a young women saying to me " Gluten?...No I'm sure there is no sugar in it."
But Gluten awareness has come a long way since then.

No comments:

Post a Comment