Saturday, November 22, 2014

Sponge cake, Gluten free recipie, Easy, Fast, Small batch.

Sponge Cake, *Inspired by Betty Hagmen's Fast and healthy sponge cake


4    T Tapioca flour
1/2 C rice flour
2    T potato starch
1    T milk powder
1/2 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Baking soda
Pinch Salt
2 eggs
1/4 C Applesauce
1/3 C sugar

1. Wisk the dry together ( Or can sub for 3/4 cup of Bob's Red Mill pancake mix)
2. Beat the eggs and sugar until fluffy, 4 min or so.
3. Add dry to wet, mix until just combined. Don't over mix
4. Pour into cake pan lined with parchment. Or muffin tin with liners.
5.  Bake at 400 for 8-10 min
_ makes 6-8 muffins, or a thin layer of cake, great for wiped cream and fresh berries. This is my "GO-TO" for Strawberry short cake.


Since going gluten free in 2001 (nearly 15 years ago) one of my favorite cook books is Betty Hagmen.

     The biggest issue I have with Betty Hagman's recipes, is that her books are based of the idea that you create your own mixes/flour blends, and then use those in a given recipe. I don't have the cupboard space to keep multiple containers, that take me months to use up (or that turn rancid before I use them). So I end up trying to guess - estimate the blend to only make the portion that a recipe requires. 
     For example, This cake recipe called for 1/2 cup of the pancake mix, plus two tablespoons tapioca flour.
So I turn to the page for the pancake mix, and find it would yield about 6 cups of mix. That's 12 times more then I need! AND the first ingredient in the pancake mix is 4 cups of her flour blend.
So then I turn to the page with the flour bland instructions, which includes Tapioca flour, and divide the flours by 12.
Then turn back to the pancake page, and figure out 1/12 of the additional components are to add them. 
Then turn back to the cake page, but by then I had wasted the time I has set aside for baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment