Friday, November 14, 2014

oatmeal cookies, the ugly sister of the cookie world

I have see this around:
And My Hubby feels the same way. And I guess, I agree, if I'm looking for a cookie, then raisin is not what I'm looking for.
But I think Oatmeal cookies have their place: It's Breakfast.

So I have the recipe in The How Can it be gluten free cookbook, from America's test Kitchen a try. Seeing as I Love their chocolate chip recipe, I though this might be good.
I was disappointed with their recipe, but came away with a few tips that I will be applying to my future oatmeal cookie recipes.

#1: Soak a portion f the oats in a portion of the liquid, before incorporating into the batter. (softened the oats)
#2. Use Butter and Oil (or in my opinion: Butter and shortening) That way you get the lift and the browning from butter, and the higher smoke point of the oil gives us sustained chewiness. I had heard this logic applied to pie crust, and it works when applies to this kind of cookie as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment