Friday, May 16, 2014

Ameria's Test Kitchen "The How can it be Gluten free cookbook" review

For my birthday My Sister in law gave me this cookbook.

It can be purchased at Costco, or Amazon or here.

When I read the concept, I was floored. It's the SAME premise behind THIS blog. Bu then I tried some recipes.
The chocolate cake was extremely fragile. The first 6 I cooked in foil liners, and the process of removing the liner caused the cupcake to disintegrate in my hand. I tried the second 6 in a silicon pan, thinking that might produce a crust to aid the structural integrity. But those would not even come out of the pan. Cake crumbs everywhere.

The "birthday cupcake" which they brag about on the cover, was also a disappointment. They had better structure then the chocolate, but felt dry. After a bite or two you felt like you needed a glass of milk. And the flavor was ... odd. It calls for melted white chocolate and sour cream. White chocolate is in effect: oil, butter and milk. The recipe calls for more oil, but this 4 oz of white chocolate is the only butter. This seamed odd.  The book explained that because there was no butter, they used the sour cream. But I thought the exchange was not an improvement in flavor. I have had decent sour cream coffee cakes, but this should have been a birthday cake. So I felt like it was not a good match.

I tried these recipes TWO times each. Just to be sure it was not an error on my part. Same results.

Basically, the Betty Crocker cake mixes are better tasting, better structure, easier, faster and cheaper then either of these recipes.

I was about to toss the cookbook into a box with my other disappointing cookbooks, and then I tried the chocolate chip cookie recipe.
It was perfect.
So I might give a few other recipes form the book a try.


No comments:

Post a Comment