Thursday, May 10, 2012

GREAT U: Gluten-Free Guide to College Living | NFCA

While wondering the Internet, on a gluten free Google I cam across this publication.
GREAT U: Gluten-Free Guide to College Living | NFCA
I wish there had been something like this for me when I went off to college almost a decade ago.

When I started at Washington State University, I did a lot of negotiating with dining services on these same items they brought up in the “red flag” article. 
WSU Require all freshman to live in Dorms, and that was a BIG problem for me to get GF foods from the Dining hall. Luckily the head of Dining services was a very kind women, and her Daughter had recently been diagnosed with a miled food allergy, so she was receptive to me concerns. Sadly, there was not much she could do about it. They could  not revise there whole system just for a handful of kids with allergies. But she did help me figure out what was safe, and what was not. And with her help I got approval to only spend one semester in the Dorms, and it was a building that had a kitehenstt on each floor, soI could make my own meals. After that I got into Campus Apartments and had my own Kitchen.
 I made connections with other GF students over my years there, and some were un-prepared to advocate for their food safety. Some were so use to their mother baking them everything for scratch they were shocked at how little GF food was available to them in the real world.
There was a Co-op bakery, over the state line, in Idaho, the carried GF Specialty products. Ther was one day month I was out of class early enough to hop on the bus, walk 6 blocks, get my groceries, walk back to the buss stopp, and make it home before the buses stopped running. I would Stock up. I had my own minni fridge, which I kept in the corner of my dorm room, cranked up as cold as it would go, and wrapped in blankets to insulate it. That little cfreezer was STUFFED with GF foods. My servival was dependent on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment